District Museum Bitterfeld
Visit the Bitterfeld District Museum and take a look at the almost 800-year history of the town of Bitterfeld and its immediate surroundings.
In 1892, the Bitterfeld church rector Emil Obst founded the "Municipal Collection for Local History and History of the Bitterfeld District". Since 1901, the museum has been located at its current site, the former girls' school built in 1839. In the more than 120 years of its existence, the museum's collection has grown to about 50,000 objects. The permanent exhibition highlights the town's history from the Middle Ages through the Reformation and the 30 Years War to the heyday of Bitterfeld's retail trade around 1920. A model of the town, historical photographs and objects from everyday life in Bitterfeld illustrate the town's history. Another exhibition area shows the history of local gas ballooning. In the basement of the facility is an exhibition on the amber mined from 1975 to 1993 in the Goitsche open pit mine, which was processed into jewelry stone at VEB Ostseeschmuck in Ribnitz-Darmgarten and distributed far beyond the borders of the former GDR. The Bitterfeld District Museum also shows changing special exhibitions on local history and other topics. The institution offers guided tours of the permanent and special exhibitions, curriculum-oriented events for school classes, kindergarten-friendly museum programs and special events such as lectures or children's birthday parties by prior arrangement.
1839: The building is erected as a girls' school.
1892: Emil Obst founds the "Municipal Collection for Local History and History of the Bitterfeld District".
1901: The first rooms are used as the town museum.
1910: The entire first floor belongs to the town museum.
1937: The entire building is used as a town museum from then on.
1949: After the closure due to the war, the museum resumes its work.
1961: transformation into a district museum and structural enlargement.
1994 - 1996: fundamental modernization of the house
Thu - Fri / Sun 10.00 - 16.00 clock .
Monday and Saturday closed