Palace of Culture Bitterfeld
The imposing neoclassical building is an architectural landmark and also has supraregional significance in its history.
The Palace of Culture was built by thousands of workers of the former Electrochemical Combine "after hours". The palace became known primarily through the "Bitterfeld Conferences" in 1959 and 1964, at which the so-called "Bitterfeld Way" was decided. Throughout the GDR, the Kulturpalast was famous as a show theater in which numerous stars performed and from which television shows were broadcast. People in the region still perceive their "KuPa" as part of their identity today, even though it has ceased playing since 2016. When it was threatened with demolition, managing director and entrepreneur Matthias Goßler set out to renovate it with the support of federal funding. In the future, the house will be used as a creative center and event location
1952: Start of construction by several thousand chemical workers in voluntary after-hours work.
13.10.1954: Opening under the name of Wilhelm Pieck Palace of Culture.
1959 and 1964: Bitterfeld conferences under the motto "Reach for the pen, buddy."
1990: Sold to a private entrepreneur
2017: Transfer of ownership to the Bitterfeld-Wolfen Chemical Park
2020: Awarded federal program for national urban development projects
2022: Start of conversion/refurbishment