Piesteritz factory housing estate
From 1916 to 1919, the New Building movement at the beginning of the 20th century left impressive stone traces in Piesteritz, which has been part of Wittenberg since 1951.
More than 1,000 people, from industrial workers to plant managers, made their homes in the remarkable factory housing estate of the former Reichsstickstoffwerk. The settlement is characterized by its urban cohesion. Strong, modern interiors and attention to detail have made it a textbook of urban planning and its New Objectivity that has been turned to stone.
Since the renovation completed for Expo 2000, the architectural-historical ensemble, a symbol of modernity, has shone in new old splendor and at the same time become Germany's first car-free settlement.
In the midst of the Piesteritz factory estate, the heart of the thriving garden city beats in the "Piesteritzer Hof". Once designed by the Swiss architect Salvisberg as a department store, today's event location has experienced a history as "Haus Feierabend" and later as a cultural center. Like the Werkssiedlung, its heart has been renovated with great attention to detail. Today, the "Piesteritzer Hof" is a hotel, bar, conference and event location.
1915: Groundbreaking ceremony for the construction of the nitrogen works on April 1.
1916: Start of construction of the works housing estate
1922 - 1926: Construction of girls' school, Catholic church and town hall of the settlement
1993: SKW Trostberg AG takes over the nitrogen works. The Treuhand sells the settlement to Bayernwerke AG München.
2000: In the course of the EXPO 2000, the restoration of the works settlement in accordance with the preservation order is completed.